Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Sight-seeing in Semey




Today, after our afternoon bonding, Tatya (a different interpreter) took us to Semey’s old Russian Orthodox church. In KAZ, people are typically either Russian Orthodox (Christian) and that would be the Russian population … or Muslim and that would be the Kazakh population. There is only one Russian Orthodox church in Semey but 4 to 5 mosques there.

The church was amazing and I was so very grateful for the experience. Being spiritual and feeling so much of God’s love on this trip in particular … I was moved by being there. I saw two Russian women crying at two different altars and felt a little bad for being there as a tourist … so I tried to show respect and honor for being in God’s house. They sold church items … I bought about 20 postcards that have Bible verses written in Russian. Tatya is going to help translate the book, chapter, and verses later as I want to give these to Dad … who told me before I left … bring me postcards! He will looooooooove them … so I was pumped to find them. I bought every postcard they had.

Then, Tatya took us to the “bottle trees.” This is an area overlooking the Irtysh River where the Semey people have a time honored tradition. When two people are about to get married, a relative or good friend climbs a tree as high as he possibly can and hangs a bottle. The higher the bottle, the more luck the couple will have! When you stand near the trees and the wind blows, it sound like wind chimes!!

The Irtysh River divides Semey in half … between the North side and the South side. We learned that the North side is where “everything happens.” The Semey people are VERY proud of the bridge constructed … not too long ago … that connects the two sides.



















4 comments:

Unknown said...

Jayne,
I am glad to see that you are comfortable and getting to spend lots of time with your new boy. I think he is starting to look like you. Seriously, look at the face shot. That is your expression. I am very thankful that you have made a friend and are able to get out. We miss you. All seems well. You should definitely go to visit the school, espeically the science and English classes. Take care and keep the pictures coming. He is beautiful.
Joan

Unknown said...

jayne,

I just read all of the posts and I am just thrilled things are going so well for you!! Noah is a doll and it looks like you are smitten...now and for a lifetime! be safe for the rest of your journey and I look forward to more posts!!

he is truly precious!!

Unknown said...

Jayne, my godsend friend at the paper Barbara helped me get back on your blog as I lost my way!!!!! OH, what a beautiful baby!!! We bought him a keychain at truckstop...says Noah on it...just happened to see it. I'll have to bring Mark down here so he can see pictures...i'd write more but I am at just such a loss for words... you are just so incredible...and Noah is beautifullllllll llllove you. tammy.

Unknown said...

Jayne, I have just caught up with you and Noah tonight. I think I'm the overly emotional one on your blog because I'm sitting here crying at the computer again! Jayne, he's beautiful, absolutely beautiful. That smile... oh, my stars! And the picture of him where he looks as if he's sleeping on your shoulder. Yes, he's your son. God bless you both. Love, Judy Austin