Wednesday, October 31, 2007

The Semey Bazaar

After bonding was over today, Larissa ... our FABULOUS interpreter, took us to the Semey Bazaar. It is both indoor and outdoor. We had such a GREAT time. There is something about having Crystal around that keeps everyone in stitches. There were so many times I thought Larissa was crying she was laughing so hard at things that would come out of Crystal's mouth. What a pleasure Crystal has been!!

We were looking for souvenirs ... but spent NO MONEY until we got to the food area ... fresh vegetables, necessary grocery items, fresh breads, etc. It was here that everyone started pulling out their money!!

Larissa tried to give me a hard time for buying a big tin of shortbread cookies without her there. She said they "lied to me" and sold it to me for $18.00, 18,000 Tenge ... that I was taken!!! I stopped her mid-sentence and said, "I DON'T WANT to hear it! Please don't burst my bubble!!!!!" I was so excited about finding those cookies, I'd have paid a hundred dollars!

Now, there was one HUGE open area that we practically ran from and that was the part of the building with RAW MEAT. EVERYWHERE ... STINKY RAW MEAT lying and hanging PROUDLY on display!! I wonder if I'll ever look at meat the same way again!







1 comment:

Unknown said...

I hope you enjoyed the cookies!! I don't think most people know how much you love cookies! I'm glad that you are able to share this experience with Crystal first hand! Thanks for sharing your journey...I wish Crystal was staying with you!!