Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Dana Isabaeva

Yesterday, I spent about 2 - 3 hours with Dana Isabaeva. She is the daughter of Nasihat, the owner of the apartment. Dana came over to get me hooked up to the internet. She is 16 years old and speaks English very well. We had soooo much to talk about and she seemed intrigued to be able to use her English as she rarely is ever in a situation to speak with someone from the USA. She played the piano for me. She pulled the music "Yesterday" by the Beatles and said that her Dad loves the Beatles. She said when he was young and KAZ was under Russian rule, the Beatles music was banned but I understood her to say that her father would listen to it "underground." She had trouble playing it ... so I asked her to let me. I started rolling with it and she burst into song in English. It was adorable! She showed me her "My Space" ... very proud of it ... of course, it was all in Russian! I showed her my blog and added her to the blog list. She can also read English. I told Dana I would add her to my blog ... so Dana, HERE IT IS!!!

Dana said she would like to show me around the town of Semey and also that she would like to take me to her school one afternoon this week. She said she will introduce me to her English teacher and that I could take pictures of her school!! I told her my students and teacher friends back home would love it! They only go to the 11th grade here and she will graduate after next year.

She is a pure delight!!!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so excited you met Dana. It sounds like she will be a great friend to have during your stay. I think it is so sweet that she wants to take you to her school. It is amazing how God takes care of us, isn't it!

Wayne said...

I feel like I'm watching a movie and you are my star! What an amazing adventure. After such a difficult few years, Jayne this is what you deserve. It is a noble and loving mission that will change your life and those around you forever! You really do remind me of Marco Polo. Love you so much!!!! Wayne

Here's a brief exerpt about Marco Polo:

On their return from China in 1295, the Polos settled in Venice where they became a sensation and attracted crowds of listeners who had difficulties in believing their reports of distant China. According to a late tradition, since they did not believe him, Marco Polo invited them all to dinner one night during which the Polos dressed in the simple clothes of a peasant in China. Shortly before the crowds ate, the Polos opened their pockets to reveal hundreds of rubies and other jewels which they had received in Asia. Though they were much impressed, the people of Venice still doubted the Polos.

Unknown said...

What a delight to meet this young lady! I know that you are making life long friends that will change your life forever! Thanks for sharing...what an awesome story!
Love, Anita