Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The Infamous Lawn Chair Flight

The plane from Almaty to Semey has been dubbed the "Lawn Chair Flight" ... well, you can just imagine!

As Joanie and I wheeled our luggage out to the old, small plane, we looked off to the right and marveled at the huge, endless, snow-capped mountain range set against the bright blue sky. It was so beautiful, it made my chest just swell up.

As I flew over KAZ in route to Semey, the mountain range was in constant sight to the right side of the small plane. I wondered what kind of music from my I-Pod would do both the enormity of this occasion and the beauty I was seeing … justice. I plugged into some classical music … Love Theme from Cinema Paradiso (w/ Itzhak Perlman) and the Main Theme from Malena (Enno Marricone) seemed to fit the moment!

Listen to how delirious I was by now after not much sleep the last 48 hours ....... as I listened to the music, I began to oddly feel like I was really in a cinematic movie myself ... I was the star at what was an emotional high point in this movie ... and the MUSIC was drawing the audience in to this incredible part of my journey to FIND MY SON… all as I flew past the MAJESTIC mountains ... near the home of his orphanage ......... and then the music begins to SOOOOAR … and .... well ...............................

I came back to reality when I looked back and saw Joanie snoring ... with her head on the shoulder of some Kazakh person she didn't know!! Ha!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I totally believe that your story could be turned into a movie! It has all the elements of an award winner!! Now we are just waiting for the happy ending of you and Noah safe at home! I can't wait!!! The thought brings tears to my eyes!!
You are so brave! Your son has an incredible Mom already!!
Amy

Joanie said...

Well..I was resting my head on an unknown Kazakh woman, but Jayne was way too far in front of me on the flight to know if I was snoring!!(I wasn't by the way):-) Seriously, it is so wonderful to share this experience with Jayne and Noah! I could not be more blessed to have such a wonderful travel mate and I know that Noah and my little one, Hayden, are and will be lifelong friends...as will Jayne and I.