Sunday, November 11, 2007

First full day as a mother ...





I got out today to meet Shannon and Derick with their new son, Asher ... and Joanie with her new baby girl, Hayden for lunch. It was nice to get out for a while with Noah. He was so adorable finally dressed in normal, boy clothes! Today, Larissa said that Noah is going to be very sexual! I said, "Why do you say THAT??" In her broken English, she said, "Mmmm ... he's soooo handsome ... and those eyes ..."

Today was my first full day to be a mother!! I think "Parenting 101 should just teach ... nap, change diaper, feed, play and love on each other ... REPEAT.

I've been advised to keep Noah on the same feeding and nap schedule as the orphanage. I'm also trying to feed him the same types of foods. I am giving Noah a bottle of Kefir early in the morning and late at night.

What is Kefir you say? I had to look on the internet ... "Kefir is a fermented milk drink that originated in the Caucasus region in Russia. It is prepared by inoculating cow, goat, or sheep's milk with kefir grains. Traditional kefir was made in skin bags that were hung near a doorway, and the bag was knocked by everyone passing through the doorway to help keep the milk and kefir grains well mixed. Kefir is becoming increasingly popular due to new research into its health benefits."

Twice a day he gets what they call a milk porridge. For lunch, he gets more substenance. Today, I fed him borsch soup with mashed potatoes mixed in it. Yeah, I know ... sounds deeeeeeeeelicious! Right? Well ... all that matters is that he loved it! He eats sooooooo good! What an appetite! He won't stay underweight for long!

For his naptimes ... I lay him down and he goes straight to sleep. It just floors me! He's such a good baby, I feel I need to pinch myself to see if I'm dreaming!







The orphanage loaned me not only his crib but also a walker. Today was his first day to get in a walker and he loooooved it! The above pictures are his different expressions!

Toward the end of the day, I had to change my VERY first poo poo diaper. I had been dreading the moment. Well ... I SMELLED it and I knew it was time. So, I pulled down Noah's diaper to find a perfect, solid, little log! Whew! Sigh of relief! I used a baby wipe to clean him up ... oh, so easy and no mess ... then all of a sudden ... out starts another perfect not so little log! So, I strategically caught it with my baby wipe. I'm laughing and thinking ... "Well, is there anything else I can do for you sir?"

Then, I gave Noah his very first EVER bath. I've heard nightmare stories about children from orphanages and how they are scared of baths at first ... so I was anticipating a possible fit. We got in the tub together and he was just amazing. I washed his hair and bathed him and afterwards ... he finally smelled like a little baby should. Then, we cuddled and cuddled before I put him to bed. My co-worker, Pam Holtzclaw, told me ... "Don't listen to what anybody else says ... you hug and kiss your little boy as much as you possibly can ... because before you know it, he'll be in high school." (I teach her adorable son, Drew.) So ... I'm taking her advice!

12 comments:

Joanie said...

Jayne,

It is hard to believe that we have just experienced our first full day as mothers. I feel so blessed to be sharing this journey with you. Not only have we bonded with our children, but we have bonded with each other. I am so thankful that Noah and Hayden will remain friends in Atlanta...what a connection both they and their mothers have!!! You are absolutely fantastic and Noah is a lucky little boy!!

Joanie

Unknown said...

Jayne and Noah, I just read your entire blog, and I can't help but cry for joy with you that you are finally a family! I believe your love will be much stronger because of the journey you've traveled for the past 2 years, and I thank God for all the special things He's added along the way. It's crazy, but when I look at little Noah's pictures, he looks like an Osborne! Crystal must be beside herself now waiting for the two of you to come home--I can hardly wait to see all of you together. God speed on your return!

Jan

bbcheermom said...

Well, good catch : ). You didn't play basketball for nothing, now did you. You didn't know you were going to have to use those quick hands for catching "logs". I was laughing with you. Welcome to motherhood : ). Can't wait to see you introduce Noah to some good ole country cooking and maybe some McDonald's fries. He looks so healthy, I can't imagine him being underweight. By the way, what are his measurements. All new mom's have to let us know weight and height of their newborns...and he is newly "born". He is starting his new life in a Christian home. God bless you both.

Unknown said...

Jayne,

I am so glad to be able to share in your joy and happiness. I am thankful you have found one another. Now simply - enjoy!

Love,
Gloria

Patrick & Eileen said...

Jayne,
It was great to read your blog update about your time with Noah today. I have to say we had a pretty hearty laugh over the *log* comments! But it's very sweet too.

Eileen

Unknown said...

Jayne, reading your blog today has blessed me. Thank you for taking the time to share this experience with all of us. Your son is beautiful, and you are a wonderful mother! I am amazed at how clean and nice the orphanage is (contrasting in my mind with the rural North Viet Nam orphanages), and I'm glad you have pictures. Those will be special to both you and Noah some day. I am here praising God for His mercy and for His provision for you and Noah. He was meant to be your son all along; it just took a while to get the two of you together. I know you are enjoying every minute of this time together. Rejoice! Judy Austin

Unknown said...

Jayne,
This had me laughing and I had to share your comments with the kids. Pam is so right...love Noah all you can because it seems like before you know it he will be driving and dating. Truly enjoy the hugs, kisses, cuddling, and baths! Luckily, both of mine still hug, kiss and cuddle with me!I do appreciate not having to share my bathtime though! I've always dreaded the day one of mine would tell that they didn't want to hug me anymore...luckily they still need the cuddling from Mom! My advice would be to never stop showing your son how much you love him.

I loved looking at the pictures of Noah. He is so happy!!
Much love, Anita

rdgilbo said...

Jayne,

Welcome to motherhood :)
We are so happy to share in your joy and new experiences. You and Noah are so blessed to have one another. It is been a long journey but God is faithful and has given you such a special gift. Enjoy this very special time together.

Denise Gilbo & Family

Unknown said...

How wonderful this experience has been for you. I am praying that the Lord will continue to make everything easy and quick for you. We miss you and want to cuddle Noah ourselves!
Let us know of any changes so we can prepare for your arrival back to Georgia!
Love,
Beth

Unknown said...

Jayne,
I thought you might enjoy this!



You never know when your guardian angel will be there for you so I have to try...
I am sending this to you to see how many actually read their e-mail.
Your response will be interesting. Pay attention to what you read.
After you have finished reading it, you will know the reason it was sent to you.
Here goes:



People come into your life for a reason, a season or a lifetime.
When you know which one it is, you will know what to do for that person..
When someone is in your life for a REASON, it is usually to meet a need you have expressed.
They have come to assist you through a difficulty, to provide you with guidance and support,
to aid you physically, emotionally or spiritually. They may seem like a godsend and they are.
They are there for the reason you need them to be.
Then, without any wrongdoing on your part or at an inconvenient time,
this person will say or do something to bring the relationship to an end.
Sometimes they die. Sometimes they walk away.
Sometimes they act up and force you to take a stand.
What we must realize is that our need has been met, our desire fulfilled, their work is done.
The prayer you sent up has been answered and now it is time to move on.



Some people come into your life for a SEASON, because your turn has come to share, grow or learn.
They bring you an experience of peace or make you laugh.
They may teach you something you have never done.
They usually give you an unbelievable amount of joy.
Believe it, it is real. But only for a season.



LIFETIME relationships teach you lifetime lessons,
things you must build upon in order to have a solid emotional foundation.
Your job is to accept the lesson,
love the person and put what you have learned to use in all other relationships and areas of your life.
It is said that love is blind but friendship is clairvoyant.



Thank you for being a part of my life,
whether you were a reason, a season or a lifetime.



Send this to every friend that you have on-line,
including the person who sent it to you.

0 Replies - you may need to work on your "people skills"
2 Replies - you are nice but probably need to be more outgoing
4 Replies - you have picked your friends well!
6 Replies - you are downright popular
8 Replies or More - you are totally awesome
(and that's probably why you're on MY list)

I wonder what mine will be.

GUARDIAN ANGEL
Forward this message the same day you received it It may sound ridiculous, but it is right on time. We believe that something is about to happen. Angels exist, only sometimes they haven't got wings and we call them friends; you are one of them. Something wonderful is about to happen to you and your friends. Tomorrow at 11:04 somebody will address you and tell you something you have been waiting to hear. Please do not break it. Send it to at least 7 of your friends.










--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Climb to the top of the charts! Play Star Shuffle: the word scramble challenge with star power. Play Now!














--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Climb to the top of the charts! Play Star Shuffle: the word scramble challenge with star power. Play Now!

Ashlee said...

Yep, there are many more poos where that little log came from. Ha ha! The time with your son will always be a blessing. Ashlee

Unknown said...

Jayne,

Noah looks so happy! I am so excited that you are both together and things are going so well. You both were meant for each other. I went to church yesterday and it was a service about dream that do and do not come true. Tears streamed down my face as I thought of all you have been through on this journey to get Noah and how wonderful God is to bring two such deserving souls together as mother and son. Reading your blog every day and seeing the wonderful things you are providing for Noah brings such joy, I am so proud of you and all you are doing, it is amazing! Enjoy every second, we all are awaiting ya'lls arrival home! Take Care and Enjoy the Moments!

Love Ya, Crystal!