Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Tickets in Hand!

There are two things that must be accomplished in Almaty before I am free to come home. First, Noah must be cleared by a doctor at the SOS international clinic. This was DONE yesterday! Second, Noah and I must be cleared through the US Embassy. Our passports must be in order and Noah must also have a VISA allowing him into the US. He is not a US citizen until he steps on US soil. He will then have dual citizenship … Kazakhstan and the US.

Our appointment with the Embassy is Monday, the 26th at 3:30 p.m.

Today, we were taken to a Lufthansa Airlines office and we purchased our tickets home! Yippeeeeeeeee! We leave Almaty Tuesday, the 27th at 4:05 a.m. and arrive in Frankfurt, Germany at 6:30 a.m. (4 hour time change so it’s a 6 ½ hour flight). We have a 4 hour layover and depart Frankfurt at 10:25 a.m. (8 hour flight) and ARRIVE IN ATLANTA AT 2:50 P.M. Can you believe it? I am sooooooooo excited!!





After purchasing our plane tickets, we were driven into the mountains of Almaty to see the scenery. I've included a few pictures. In one picture you will see me and our interpreter, Kate. In another, I included a picture of me and Sam. Sam is our driver. I have realized that Almaty is a GREAT city. It used to be the capital of Kazakhstan, but recently the capital was moved to Astana … a more central city to the entire country. My understanding as to the reason of the change is that the city of Almaty is too close to the border of China and in case of war, it would be too vulnerable. Almaty is a bustling city with beautiful buildings, all the best retail stores, and the people seem very professional and quite hip.





Today, we made reservations for Thanksgiving night at the Intercontinental Hotel Restaurant. It is a gorgeous hotel and the dining room is spectacular. They are going to be serving turkey and dressing, etc. Our “crew” is looking forward to celebrating Thanksgiving together with our children …and of course having some great American food!

I have to admit that this last week has been tough for me and I have found myself completely exhausted and homesick. Shannon and Derick call it being tired down to their cells … the cellular level! I feel better knowing it’s not just me … but I still feel like I’m on my last wobbly leg. But now I have plane tickets in hand and my handsome boy and me and my wobbly leg are coming home soon!! (smile)

9 comments:

Wayne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Jayne,
Wonderful news!! My Thanksgiving prayers were truly answered. I'm so glad to know the day you are flying home! Can you believe it? This time next week you and Noah will be in your home!!

I'm so glad that you are able to see the sights and take pictures so that Noah can see where he came from!

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving. My family is traveling so I'm not so sure I will have internet access until I return home late Friday night. Take care! God Bless you and Noah!
Much love, Anita

Unknown said...

Jayne,

Hope you have a blessed Thanksgiving. Looking forward to your return.

Love,
Gloria

Unknown said...

Hang in there Jayne! You'll be coming home the week of my birthday! No better gift for me than to see you and Noah back in the US! Enjoy your Thanksgiving! Your family and friends love you!
Kellye

Jody said...

Yeah! Tuesday will be here before you know it!

Jody

Susan said...

It's such a long time to be away, but at least now you know when you'll at least be home. I hope you have a great first Thanksgiving together.

Unknown said...

Happy Thanksgiving from Houston, Jayne! And what a Thanksgiving this is for you! Incredible! Here's wishing you a smooth flight and a big hug and kiss to America's cutest (soon-to-be) new citizen!

xxoo
DeDe

bbcheermom said...

Great news! I awoke this Thanksgiving morning and the first thing I did was run in here to see what the latest news was before I start heating up the kitchen : ). This is such a great day of thanksgiving. Hope you and Noah have a great day together. He will look back one day and see he really had something to be thankful for on Thanksgiving Day 2007. Have a safe trip home.

Pam Mc

Unknown said...

Jayne,

We all can't wait for you both to arrive home. We are all saving our Thanksgiving dinner so we can share it with you both and have a "Thanksgiving" a week late in honor of you both! We will all say our prayers for a safe trip home. I know you are exhausted and ready to be back, just around the corner. Tell Sam and everyone hi for me! Hug Noah too!

Love ya, Crystal