Wednesday, November 14, 2007

I like clingy ...

"The Group" had lunch together again today with our children. Am I a part of that? Did I just say "our children?" I have a child? I know I do ... I just wonder when it will sound normal to hear things like that?

Noah slept ten hours straight last night! But today, the only nap he would take was when he just collapsed at lunch. The first picture is Noah and me at lunch. Noah was pretty much bright eyed and bushy-tailed ... so I thought.



When he gets tired, he falls on my chest and sucks his little thumb and usually a piece of my shirt with it. Moments like these are so beautiful to me.



One thing led to another ... and he was OUT like a light!



When we got back to the apartment, he was still OUT ... in his snow suit and all!



Took off that snow suit ... still sound asleep!



There's something else I'd like to share that I have found quite odd. In the playroom at the orphanage, I noticed there was always a t.v. on. This helps me understand why Noah responds to a t.v. in the strange way that he does. If I turn on the t.v., all that matters is that t.v. screen. He gets in a trance ... totally mesmerized. So, I am using this to my advantage while I'm here. If I have to run to the bathroom, I just turn on the t.v!!!



Noah is becoming very clingy ... and I don't mean that in a bad way. He wants me near him. He'll reach out his little hand for me. It's enough sometimes that he is just holding on to my finger ... or my pants leg ... or has his hand on my arm. I don't know if he is afraid I will (really) leave him or if it just comforts him in a way that he needs right now or both. He also doesn't want to take naps in his crib now. Today during his nap time and while in his crib ... he cried for about 45 minutes. I kept thinking, "Jayne, let him soothe himself. He'll be fine." Nope, couldn't do it. I finally took him out and laid on the couch with him. He laid on my chest sucking his thumb for the next hour. He wouldn't sleep but he was content as long as he was right there with me. I watched him and thought to myself ... "How is it that you're perfect for me?" He'd raise himself up just off my chest and flash a little grin and plop back down and start sucking again. I kept wondering ... "Why is this child doing this cute stuff ... is he trying to melt my heart?" And he would raise up again, look into my eyes ... let out a giggle ... plop back down on my chest and start sucking that thumb again.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Your comments are precious! It is understandable that he is clingy, his world has changed drastically in just a few days! I do believe he might be testing you as well! The hardest thing as a Mom is to let them cry when they need their routine of taking a nap. It's okay to hold him as well, just like you did! I love hearing that he wants you close by. The pictures of him sleeping are adorable!! Jayne...you are a mother...I love being able to tell you that!!
Hugs and Kisses!!
Anita

Unknown said...

Yep, he is using all his charm to his advantage! Before you know it he will be turning 4 and still sleeping with his head on your chest, in your bed, right next to you! Whenever I get frustrated with Anna Marie still sleeping with me I think to myself, I hope we are still this close when she is 16!!
You are a natural and Anna Marie has been showing us signs of that since she was born. She has always come running to you and been attracted to you more than any of my other close friends.
Continue to enjoy every second of all that lovin!
Beth Gliatta

AJ said...

Clingy looks good on you, Jayne!
AJ

rdgilbo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
rdgilbo said...

We have enjoyed your Blogs so much. I sit and laugh along with you every day. Clingy is good. He senses you are his constant right now and he needs that. Don't worry this to will pass. I love that he is using his charm on you. It's amazing how early little boys use that on their moms :)Yep, you are his mom. (Pretty Cool thought huh) Enjoy this very special time.
We pray that you will be home by Thanksgiving. God really has shown you who is in control. Isn't He AWESOME!! :-)

Denise & Matt

Jennifer said...

Hey Jayne! Today I am home with Elliott, we both have the flu. But as I read your blog it makes me laugh that you picked Noah up after 45 minutes of crying. I laugh because we are going through the same thing with Elliott. Everyone has their own opinions, and I do agree with Anita, they need their routines! Remember, they are only little for such a short time, and soon enough he'll be sleeping all by himself in a "big" bed...enjoy it while it lasts and do what makes you both happy. We miss you and can't wait for your return!!
Jennifer

Unknown said...

"Clingy", you know you looooooooooooove it! He knows he has found the "perfect" mom and he can't help himself but want to be in your presence every second! Ha! Enjoy each and every second!

Crystal

Wayne said...

Jayne,
I love the descriptions. What an experience! It is great you are documenting this. There was an article yesterday in the New York Times about an adult who had been adopted from China when she was 3 years old. She had no memory of the time and very little history of what happened. I know this record will help Noah so much when he is older.

Can't wait to meet him!

Love,
Wayne

bbcheermom said...

I know the reason Noah keeps looking up and smiling at you...he's just looking up and saying "God, I can't believe you gave me this wonderful mother to take me HOME" He's probably looking up and wanting to pinch himself to make sure it's all real. Guess what Noah, it's ALL real and you are going to have a wonderful life with your REAL mother. God knew what he was doing.

Pam Mc