Friday, November 2, 2007

PF Changs, anyone?

We are all beginning to feel the heaviness and strangeness of being away from home. While trying to always stay positive on my blog ... I have not mentioned many things about Semey that are not so good. There are few "streets." Most on what we travel is mud and dirt. Any streets are FULL of huge potholes, craters, piles of concrete and trash. Since we've been here, we've seen the sun three times. It is cold, dark, and dreary. When not out with Larissa and Pasha, we must stay in our apartments ... and the coldness sticks with me as I don't have heat yet. Today, Larissa told us that the average salary for a typical Semey resident is $200 - $300 a month. This should tell you the standard of living we see around us. It's a hard life and I can't imagine living it ... I think seeing this also has a weighing affect on us ... subconsciously. Today while riding in the van, I looked out at the mud and dirt and felt my skin crawl suddenly and the thought flew through my mind, "I can't take it anymore!" This feeling came out of nowhere!

Today at lunch, our discussion was about food from home and what we would eat FIRST when we got back. PF Changs became the hands down winner ... and we began oohing and aahing and salivating about the crab wontons, lettuce wraps, spicy chicken, nice bottle of chardonnay ... this went on and on. Then we moved on to Mexican food ... and then we dreamed about the Outback and Longhorn Steak House ... all while we were eating a traditional Georgian (and that's not the state of Georgia!) dish that we could barely choke down. My Dad asked me the other day if I had found any cornbread and milk to eat. I said, "No, Dad ... don't think I'll find that here." Although, Dad ... I did find out that one of the favorite Kazakh drinks here is Fermented Goat's Milk. I just don't think that will substitute.

When I struggle with being content in any and ALL of my circumstances ... all I have to do is think about that beautiful little boy in Semey's orphanage ... and I know I can handle ANYTHING!!! He and I will come home to clean sidewalks, and grass, and paved streets and the bright blue Georgia sky ... oh, and some good 'ole down home Southern cooking!







I thought I'd take a photo of the back of Noah's head. It amazes me how bare it is ... I guess due to lying on his back so much. One day soon he's going to have a gorgeous head of hair!






The Kazakhs used to be nomads. They moved across the country according to weather and according to where was best for their herds to graze. The portable home in which they did their entertaining was called a YURTA. This photo has our group sitting in a model of a yurta.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Jayne,
Noah will have a beautiful head of hair soon! Most babies rub their hair off on the back of their heads when they are learning to turn over on their own or turning their heads while on their backs! It just means he's going to be a very active little boy. I remember when Coley had a bald patch on the back of his head!! The hair will soon grow back.

As for PF Changs...you know it's my favorite restaurant! Then, there's Mexican, etc. I will eat a little for you tonight (we eat Mexi on home football nights) and I'm sure Michael will gladly drink a beer for you! Although, it'll have to be after the game!

Much love, Anita
P.S. I'll have fudge waiting for you when you get home! :)

Unknown said...

Jayne, I've been keeping up with your blog — love the videos! — just now getting a break at office this week to send a quick message.I was reading about all of the food you were missing and started thinking — hey, I miss that stuff too! And I'm living right here in Jackson. You know, Mark and I are cereal and sandwich (lazy cooking) people, so now I've been thinking about Mexican etc. Please know that you all are in our prayers and you and Noah are in our conversations often. Deadline at paper fast approaching....gotta go. love ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ashlee said...

Jayne: LOL, we felt the same way when we were in Semey. By the time I was getting ready to fly home, I was ready for even TACO BELL! LOL

Unknown said...

Hey, Jayne! I've just watched the video of Noah's breakfast and tea -- love the smacking of the tea! He's a healthy little guy! The back of his head reminds me of Eliza's (adopted from VN at age 7 months). Hers was not only bald in the back, but she also had large lumps on her head. We were certain that someone had dropped her on her head until the adoption facilitator told us that that wasn't it at all -- to rub antibiotic cream on the lumps. Sure enough, the lumps quickly went away. To this day, we don't know what caused them.
I can relate to the wanting to go home. After a while, the days drag. Your description of Semey is much like Hanoi and the smaller villages of VN. We dodged a lot of human excrement and etc there -- and the smells were overpowering. And, yes, we craved, absolutely craved American food. But the days will pass, and soon you will be back. Can't wait to see you and sweet Noah! God bless you both. Judy Austin

Wayne said...

Jayne,
Greg read your blog with me tonight. He sends his love. What a wonderful wonderful thing! I feel like you have been there for so long. And it looks like Noah has grown so much in the time. :) By the way, I've named the lead character in my novel Agriegnon Ramazan Donaladin. :)
I continue to pray for you constantly.
Love you very much,
Wayne

Unknown said...

Jayne:

Both of my kids were bald like that, too. My son, Danny, looked like a little indian chief. The good news is, IT GROWS BACK!!!

Linda