Monday, September 3, 2007

News for a New Post!

I finally have news to share!

My dossier was "stuck" in Almaty, Kazakhstan at the Ministry for quite a while. It seems the Minister went on a lengthy vacation and didn't return until July 17th. Even then, my dossier stayed "stuck" there as ... from my understanding ... the ministers in the regions were taking vacations. My case manager said she has never seen Kazakhstan move so slowly. But I always got the impression that things would start moving soon. There was a part of me that couldn't help but be afraid. I believe fears develop from past experiences ... and so it is probably understandable that as I move closer toward traveling, I am afraid that what happened before will happen again.

Meanwhile, my agency asked me to take part in a conference call about "Traveling Blind vs. Traveling with a Referral." I had already decided to travel blind and the call helped me understand everything to expect once I arrived.

It was after this call that a part of me was wondering if I should consider asking for a referral. For those who don't know, this is when the agency presents an available child to me. I could then travel specifically to see that particular child.

One day, I spoke with my case manager and she enlightened me as to the current situation she was seeing in Kaz. She said that LMI expected to get some referrals in around the end of August ... 1st of September as quite a few children were coming off the registry. (Children must stay on the "registry" for 6 months before they are available for adoption.) She herself was thinking that a referral might come sooner than my dossier would make it to a particular region. We discussed whether I would be open to receiving a referral. I reminded her of my 1st experience having had a referral (the 10 month old girl from Samara, Russia) and how it broke my heart. We talked and talked and I decided to be open to either. This discussion occurred around mid August.

Well ... on Wed., August 29th ... I was in my classroom teaching and I noticed on my cell phone that I had a message from a "NO NUMBER." That is usually always my case manager. I felt butterflies and a little weak as I could think of no reason she would be calling me on that day unless she had some sort of news. The first moment I had, I walked outside the school where I could get reception. When she answered, she said she had two possible scenarios for me. The first was that my dossier could be sent to the Almaty region ... an orphanage 1 1/2 hours outside the big city of Almaty. I would travel blind. Two trips would be required. She had a second scenario ... she told me there was an adorable Kazakh baby boy, 8 months old ... in the Semey region ... available for adoption. She said he was a preemie but otherwise healthy. She said the Semey is a region that has been waiving the appeals period and that the last two families that traveled there were able to have their baby immediately after court and complete the entire trip in a total time of 5 1/2 weeks. I asked her to send me his photos and medical information. I was on the phone with my case manager as I pulled up the photos and I exclaimed, "Oh my goodness ... he's adorable!!!!!" Three photos appeared ... one where he looked sad, one complacent, and one where he was giggling. Soooooooooooooo cute! I was melting!! We agreed that I would check with my International Adoption Doctor first in reference to the child's medical and then I would make a decision. (In my heart, I already had made a decision but I had to think with my head and not my heart.)

On Friday, my IA doctor called me and told me the wonderful news!!! She saw absolutely no problems whatsoever that concerned her. We spoke briefly and I hung up the phone and felt so full of joy!!!! I called my case manager to tell her the great news. After a round of phone tag, we connected and she said she would let LMI know that we had a "Baby Osborne." Hearing that made me feel amazing inside!!! LMI is going to send me a contract and I should get it next week. Meanwhile, my dossier will be sent to Semey, Kazakhstan where it will be processed. Now ... I will be awaiting my LOI (Letter of Invitation) from Semey. My case manager ... that I will from here on out call AJ ... said I will probably travel in late October.

I wish I could post the baby's pictures but you just never know what will happen ... and I want to make sure everything is going to work out before I do so. But just trust me that he is as adorable as they come!!

2 comments:

Jody said...

Congratulations Jayne! I'm so excited for you!! I hope you get your LOI SOON!!

Jody

cheryl said...

Jayne --

I'M SO HAPPY FOR YOU! I will keep you and little "Baby Osborne" in prayer and pray that you are united soon.

I can't wait to see family pics!
:o)cheryl